St Austell Swimming Club is run by a voluntary committee. All Fees taken from swimmers are used to pay the pool hire, insurance and expenses involved in running the club. Only our Head Coach and Assistant Coach take a salary at this time. Please note we are a separate entity to the Polkyth Leisure Centre.
Each discipline has it's own team of volunteers to coach and to manage weekly communications. However, membership is managed centrally. This system enables swimmers to join in any combination of the disciplines. Membership categories are defined by the number of hours swimmers spend in the water per week.
Please go to the green tab along the top menu to find out further information about each discipline.
For Club Fees or to sign up to be a Member please go to the Membership tab.
History of St Austell Amateur Swimming Club
St Austell Swimming Club has been based at Polkyth Leisure Centre, Carlyon Road, St Austell since the Leisure Centre opened in 1974. However, the club itself has a far longer history….
In 1892, young men interested in swimming met at Porthpean Beach. They paid fees to the St Austell and District Swimming Club and changed their clothes in a tin hut on the cliffs! The club affiliated to the Western Counties in 1901 and entered in County swimming events until the First World War in 1914/18. However, the war had a dramatic effect on the club and it was then some time before it produced a winning team at County level.
In 1928 the club moved to Charlestown harbour. The harbour was measured and the walls drilled to attach swimming lanes for competitive events. Water Polo matches were held at high tide.
In 1961, the club moved to the outdoor swimming pool at the New Riveria Club at Crinnis Beach. This was initially free but then a small charge was made. By 1967 a supporter’s club was formed to meet the increasing costs.
Between 1969 and 1974 Mount Charles School’s outdoor swimming pool was used to train young people to swim. When they could swim 10 metres, they were given a certificate and were sent to the Crinnis Beach outdoor pool for further training.
In 1974, the official opening of the indoor pool at Polkyth Leisure Centre marked “the beginning of a new era in the history of the Swimming Club”. Membership was open to young people of both sexes from the age of 6 years. Emphasis was placed on teaching members to swim correctly, followed by members opting to pursue one of the following – Personal Survival, Life Saving, Synchronised Swimming, Water Polo or Competitive Swimming. This philosophy still remains today.